Florida Elder Care Attorney

Dealing with aging relatives is a major issue for many Florida families. As the elder population, especially those belonging to the Florida Baby-Boomer Generation, has increased, there are a number of complex legal issues that have also arisen. Some of these issues include paying for long-term health care and managing the personal affairs of individuals who are no longer able to take care of themselves. An experienced elder care attorney can help with these and other issues.


We Have The Answers

Paying for Long-Term Care

When senior citizens are no longer capable of living on their own, occasion requires that they may need to transition into a nursing home or assisted living facility. Such long-term care is often prohibitively expensive. Full-time care in a Florida nursing home, for instance, can cost upwards of $10,000 per month. This is obviously beyond the means of most Florida retirees.

There are several ways to plan for long-term elder care. One option is long-term care insurance. The State of Florida has partnered with a number of private insurers to offer these long-term care policies which can supplement coverage provided by existing health insurance and government benefit programs like Medicare and Medicaid. Long-term care policies cover a number of services, including nursing home care, assisted living, adult day-care, home health services, hospice care, and other community-based elder care services.

If long-term care insurance is not affordable or does not meet a person’s needs, it may be possible to pay for nursing home and similar services through Florida’s Medicaid program. Medicaid is a means-tested program with strict income and asset limits. A Florida elder care attorney can help you or a family member determine possible Medicaid eligibility or whether another option, such as long-term care insurance, is more appropriate.

Considering Adult Guardianship for Elder Relatives

Many families face the prospect every year that an elderly relative is clearly incapable of continuing to make basic financial and health care decisions for themselves. In such cases it may be necessary to establish an adult guardianship. Guardianship can be voluntary or involuntary—that is, a person person may request a guardianship or one can be sought by a relative or by another interested party. If a judge agrees that a guardianship is necessary, a guardian will be named to manage the person’s affairs. A guardianship may be limited to certain assets — known as a limited guardianship—or it may apply to all aspects of a person’s financial and personal affairs, which is known as a plenary guardianship.

“How do I rebuild my credit after bankruptcy?”

find out how here

A guardianship is not something to be taken lightly. It is a formal legal process that requires judicial intervention. If you are considering seeking an involuntary guardianship for a family member, you should speak with a Florida elder care attorney right away. An attorney can advise you on the best course of action and may be able to provide alternatives to a guardianship proceedings.

Request a FREE Consulation

  • Do Not use this form to contact us about the scholarship. The scholarship can be found here: http://khgpa.com/#scholarship-application
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Why Choose Us?

Contact Us Today

There are many other elder care law issues wherein you or a family member may require assistance, such as estate planning and administration, retirement planning and pension benefits, and  dealing with Social Security and the Veterans Administration. Our qualified Florida elder care attorney, K. Hunter Goff, P.A. can offer assistance with all of these subjects. Contact the Law Office of K. Hunter Goff, P.A., in Orlando at (407) 898-8225 to speak with a lawyer right away and get your elderly family member the care he or she deserves.

Site by: